Every year, YWCA Yakima serves over 6,000 individuals impacted by domestic violence. You can help by volunteering.
We have two different ways you can be involved:
Non-Direct Client Services
Non-direct client services allow you to work in the facility and around clients but you cannot work directly with clients. In order to volunteer to assist with non-direct client services you are required to watch 1.5 hours of video training.
Some examples of volunteer needs are:
- answering phones and working at the front desk
- sorting through donations
- assisting a client find work appropriate clothing at Persimmon Boutique through our Working Woman’s Wardrobe
- baking birthday cakes or providing a meal for the families living in our shelter
- attending outreach booths in the community
- providing childcare during parent meetings or counseling
- proving client pampering: hair, nails, massages, movie night, etc.
If you have something that you would like to do for the families who live at YWCA Yakima that you do not see listed above, feel free to contact our Outreach Coordinator, Amber Ingersoll, or our Director of Development and Outreach, Quinn Dalan.
Life’s most urgent question is: What are you doing for others? – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Direct Client Services
In order to work with clients directly, you must complete the required 20 hour advocacy training. This includes 15 hours of classes and 5 hours of job shadowing. The classes will be offered regularly at different dates and times to fit everyone’s schedule. Please fill out a volunteer application or reach out to our Outreach staff for more information.
Examples of direct client services include:
- answering the crisis line
- providing client advocacy
- transporting clients to their appointments, court or shopping
- attending court with clients
- assisting clients as they fill out protection orders
- facilitating domestic violence groups
We are so excited that you are interested in being a volunteer with YWCA Yakima. We rely on passionate volunteers to fulfill our mission of eliminating racism, empowering women and providing a safe and supportive place where victims of domestic violence are able to heal and become self-reliant survivors.
Download the Volunteer Application above.
You can sign up to volunteer HERE. Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.