Community Resources

A- A A+

Below is a list of community resources available in Yakima. We understand it can be difficult to navigate the many resources and to know which option is the best for your situation. Please know you can always call YWCA Yakima’s 24-hour helpline at 509-248-7796 (select option #3) to receive assistance connecting with meaningful resources.

Covid-19 Resources

Yakima Valley Community Foundation

Yakima County 

Washington State Department of Health


YVFW – Behavioral Health Services

Catholic Charities

Center for Counseling & Psychotherapy

Divorce Care 

Apple Valley Counseling 

Yakima Area Certified Domestic Violence Programs

Peaceful Solutions 509-469-2033

Apple Valley Counseling 

NW Behavioral Modification Clinic

Yakima – 509-457-8554. Sunnyside – 509-643-4944

Choice Counseling & Consulting 509-249-0120

Olivero Family Counseling Services 509-945-7185

Health Resources


Washington Apple Health and Healthcare Exchange

Apple Health can be applied for year-round. The healthcare exchange is only available during open enrollment and within 60 days of certain qualifying life events (losing health coverage, divorce, marriage, or giving birth/adoption). Specific questions or concerns can be addressed by the assistance programs listed below.

Yakima Neighborhood Health 

Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic

Planned Parenthood 

Children’s Village

Comprehensive Healthcare


Drug & Alcohol 

Merit Resources 

Triumph Treatment Services 




The Northwest Justice Project is for low?income people seeking free legal assistance with civil (non criminal), and/or criminal legal problems. This includes but is not limited to Divorce, Child Custody, Paternity, Modifications of Parenting Plan, and more.

  • The CLEAR line is open Monday – Friday 9:10 am – 12:25 pm.
  • You can apply for assistance is through their website.
  • CLEAR offers advice and may be able to offer attorney representation.
  • Call 1-888-201-1014 for services.

YWCA – Legal Advocacy 

Columbia Legal Services 

Family Court Facilitator 

Division of Child Support 

Northwest Fair Housing Alliance 

Yakima Immigration Response Network

Housing Resources

OIC of Washington

Northwest Community Action Center

Housing & Essential Needs Program-Neighborhood Connections Resource Center

Yakima Housing Authority 

Homeless Shelters

Union Gospel Mission

Camp Hope


Food Resources

Yakima County Food Banks

Basic Food Benefits-DSHS

Other Resources

La Casa Hogar connects and educates Latina Families to transform lives and our Yakima Valley.

The Madison House, a community youth center.

Henry Beauchamp Community Center provides a variety of services aimed at fostering self-sufficiency and dignity for children, youth and families, and affirming diversity in culture and way of life for residents of southeast Yakima.

Starting over: How to rebuild your finances after experiencing financial abuse.

135 Racial Equity Resources For Education, Professional & Community Development, Health, And Civil Rights

Steps Workers Can Take If They Are Experiencing Racial Discrimination In The Workplace.

If you’re a victim of racial discrimination in the workplace you’re not powerless. What’s happening to you isn’t your fault, but there are things you can do to make it stop. Racial discrimination and harassment is a Federal crime. You can file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to make the discrimination and harassment stop. The EEOC will investigate your employer and if your employer is found to be engaging in discrimination or creating a hostile work environment they could face criminal penalties and big fines.

Title VII of the Federal Civil Rights Act makes it a crime for any employer to discriminate against employees based on their race, color, gender, identity, orientation, religion, or place of birth. When you file a complaint with the EEOC if you live in one of the 44 states that has an agreement with the EEOC the state labor board will also open an investigation against your employer. The EEOC will send copies of all of your complaint paperwork to the state labor board so that the state can investigate. You won’t have to file two complaints.

What Are Examples of Racial Discrimination?

If you’re experiencing any of these common types of discrimination you should file a complaint with the EEOC:

  • Not getting promoted
  • If you were supposed to receive a promotion or a raise and you didn’t receive either one but other people did that’s discrimination.
  • Dress code restrictions
  • If the dress code at your place of employment specifically forbids things like wearing natural hair styles, wearing locs or braids, or wearing head coverings that’s discrimination.
  • Racial slurs or demeaning comments
  • Any and all types of racially demeaning or derogatory comment or images are discrimination. Slurs, promoting stereotypes, or offensive imagery are also discrimination even if your coworkers try to pass them off as “jokes” and tell you that you’re “too sensitive”. You’re not, and it is harassment.
  • Paying some employees less than others
  • If you’re not being paid the same as other workers that are doing the same job that’s discrimination.

Next Steps to Take

When you’re experiencing discrimination at work it is important to make sure that your boss and the HR department know about it because they might not be aware that it’s happening. To inform them of what’s happening make a list of every incident of racial discrimination that you’ve experienced. Make sure that you include a summary of the event, when it happened, and who did it. Also make sure that you have any supporting evidence that you can find like copies of documents, videos, screen shots, or print outs. Take everything you have to your boss and HR. Demand that they stop the harassment immediately. If they won’t help you or refuse to admit there’s a problem go directly to the EEOC’s website and file a complaint.

Remedies for Racial Discrimination

If your employer is violating the Civil Rights Act there are stiff punishments for that. Your employer could be forced to pay fines of up $10,000 per incident of harassment or discrimination. They also could be forced to give you a promotion if you were denied one that you were owed. You could receive lump sums for back pay and for pain and suffering or other damages.